Monday, February 13, 2012

Sight Seeing

We have enjoyed having family visit us down south!
Two weeks ago my sister and brother in law came for a quick visit. 
They had never been to a date farm, 
 we were happy to let them experience a date shake!
A week ago my sister and cousin visited Yuma for a week.
Besides visiting a Date Farm. 
We visited the Peanut Patch.
We found out that Peanuts are no longer grown in this area,
 because of the white fly.
Peanuts attract them....and they eat lettuce. 
Lettuce is one of the main crops in this area so the farmers 
stopped growing peanuts to help control the White Fly.
I saw my first peanut plant.
Peanuts are not nuts...they are a vegetable? Did you know that??
When the Peanut Patch first opened, they had a small store that sold the peanuts they grew.
They also made peanut brittle to sell.
Even though they don't grow the peanuts...they still make the Peanut Brittle...

The original owner planted an Eucalyptus Tree
It is one large tree!
We took at drive a bit north of Yuma...
Who said there was no water in the desert?
Lake Martinez
It was a week of seeing a lot of new things!

16 comments:

  1. So that is why peanut butter prices are so high.
    I did not realize there were lovely lakes like this in the desert.
    Thanks for sharing you journeys, Flora.
    ~:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the peanuts are expensive farmers have not had great crops this year due to weather and storms. They haven't had peanuts in AZ for about 10 years now.

      Delete
  2. neat to share different things with family. now, pass the peanut brittle, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who'da' thunk it?---the peanut is a legume?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well a legume...or a bean...I would say a good kind of bean:)

      Delete
  4. Last time I had peanut brittle, I pulled out a filling. But it was worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing as good as peanut brittle! Is it a true American food invention?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen a peanut plant until now. Do they have boiled peanuts there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They mentioned it...but they don't do it at the Peanut Patch.

      Delete
  7. Oh peanut brittle - I've not had that for years. Wonderful stuff. I'll need to look for some now. :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. That peanut brittle looks so good! I love the photo of the peanut plant. I knew they grew that way, but had never seen it before!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, sounds like tons of fun touring around. I never knew that a peanut is a vegetable, I just thought it's a peanut and never categorized it... I learned something new tonight.

    Wishing you a very Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did not know that peanuts are a vegetable...fun tidbit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun post! I enjoyed the sight-seeing tour with you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are having such a great time! Happy Valentine's Day. sandie♥

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by...

National Puppy Day

Miss Pepper…..she changed our life… But life wouldn’t be as full without her! She is a kind sweet puppy that always ‘try’s😳’ to please.